What Is an Argumentative Essay? How to Write It
The argumentative essay is a type of writing assignments which requires the writer to investigate a particular topic, generate and analyze the evidence, evaluate it and then establish a position on the topic in an accurate way. By proving your position, you have to show your readers that it is worthy.
Sometimes students confuse an argumentative essay with an expository one. In fact, they are similar somehow. However, there exist also some differentiating features. For instance, the argumentative essay requires another amount of pre-writing and research needed. The argumentative essay is commonly assigned as a final project in the first year or advanced composition courses. While expository essays are usually shorter and require less research work. They are often assigned as in-class writing tests.
The argumentative essay itself calls for a wide and extensive research or literature or any other published material. This kind of assignment may also require from students an empirical research. It means students have to collect information through interviews, surveys, and observations. Extended and detailed researches help students to get to know everything concerning this or that topic, and find the most appropriate evidence with examples, what makes an essay good.
The Process of Argumentative Essay Writing
In order to complete an effective argumentative essay, you need firstly get to know everything about this kind of assignment.
By following the set structure, you will make your essay sound good. So, here are some tips on how to write an argumentative essay and make a grade with it.
The first thing you have to do is to understand the format:
- The purpose of an argumentative essay is that thing you have to take into account before writing. In a nutshell, the purpose is to investigate the topic fully and accurately. To achieve this, you need to conduct an extensive research which covers all aspects of a particular topic, gather relevant information and analyze all points of view.
- Understand the methodology of an argumentative essay. If you want to complete your paper successfully, you need to prepare yourself for the writing, first of all. It means you have to fully dive into the subject material. In order to make your essay effective, you have to go through a great amount of information, analyzing it, and, in the end, lead your readers to clear and logical conclusion. To achieve this, you need to be well-familiarized with all view opinions and ideas. In addition, you need to be prepared to discuss thoughts that are opposite to yours.
- Keep your desired outcome in mind. To cut a long story short, the main aim of an argumentative essay writing is to make the readers interested in the investigated topic. By providing your examples, you need to show people that your arguments are reliable, and cause a good topic for a further discussion.
Select a Good Topic
- You have to choose the topic which fits the format. Keep in mind that your essay should cause some kind of a discussion. So, do not choose a topic which is not arguable. Find a topic with contradicting views, and provide your own arguments.
- Choose the topic which interests you. Of course, you will have to spend a lot of time working on your argumentative essay. So, in order to enjoy that process, pick up something that is interesting for you.
- Test your arguments. It is a good idea to talk to your peer and discuss your arguments. This will surely help you to develop your thinking skills and bring some new ideas.
- Keep the audience in mind. This is an important issue while writing an argumentative essay. Your audience should understand everything completed by you. So, it is better to analyze your audience beforehand, paying attention to their background and experience.
- Understand the rhetorical situation. It is very important for you to understand everything concerning your issue and the topic you are working with. The rhetorical situation includes five basic elements: the text, the author, the audience, the purpose of the communication, and the setting. You are intended to be aware of this situation to the fullest.
Structure Your Paper
If your aim is to create a winning paper and impress everybody, you should also pay a great attention to the essay`s structuring.
- Create a title that grabs readers` attention immediately. In order to attract a lot of readers and make them interested in your paper, develop a creative and original title which corresponds to your topic. A good title always provides with a little understanding concerning what your paper will be about.
- Think of a strong thesis statement. It serves as an accurate idea that sums up the whole essay. Your thesis statement should appear at the end of the introduction. It tells what is the main issue of the following paper, and why this question is actual and important.
- Write an introduction. This part of your essay usually explains briefly the essay topic by familiarizing readers with the background information.
- Work on the body of your essay. In this section, you have to present all the information carefully, by providing an argument and an opposition. The main task of presenting your argument is to cover all aspects of the issue. Also, do not forget to include some counterarguments. However, be ready to explain to the readers why your point of view is more logical.
- Write a conclusion. Here you have to reassert your argument and make your audience believe it and support your claim. Be sure to restate your thesis statement. However, do not present some new information. It will only confuse your readers.
Include Your Research and Sources
- Do your own research. A good paper can be completed only in case you are well-familiar with the topic you are working on. Go to the library or look up some reliable sources on the Internet. If you cannot find something by yourself, ask your instructor for reputable sources of information. They will surely help you.
- Pick up sources, which provide only with the up-to-date and accurate information.
- You can also use some quotes to support your opinions. It will make your work more interesting and credible. However, all quotes you are using need to be written by experts in this or that particular field. In case of using some quotes, do not forget about citing.
The last thing you have to do is to edit your paper and make sure you did everything properly. Check all grammar, syntax and punctuation issues. Check the citations and quotes used. You need to polish your essay until it seems to be perfect.
These were the final touches of your work on an argumentative essay. This information is useful for everyone who is trying to succeed in essay writing. Good luck!