Tomorrow’s physicians are expected to keep pace with the changing medical environment caused by the new context of patient care. The medical academic environment experiences significant metamorphosis to meet the needs of people and improve the entire system in the future.
First and foremost, most medical institutions focus their attention rather on practice than theory today. Educators believe that providing students with an opportunity to communicate directly with patients and improve their knowledge in a real-life environment is more beneficial than letting learners stay in a classroom. This new approach that allows future doctors to apply their skills and receive direct experience is considered as an efficient way to improve competency.
AMA (American Medical Association) strongly supports this initiative and strives to assist it in all ways. They provide informational help and organize global events that last for three days, during which doctors and educators from all over the globe can meet and share their knowledge. AMA invites leading professors from the best colleges and universities worldwide, encouraging them to take part in a large conference. The representatives of the most elite institutions gladly share their ideas about contemporary issues and take part in the interactive sessions. Some of the main themes of a recent event were the following:
- Assisting universities and colleges to increase the number of practical lessons, where students can follow their individual learning plan and improve their skills in practice
- Providing professional training and medical education to the existing healthcare institutions
- Learning how to use information technologies to improve the results of training, and ensure lifelong education
- Integrating new subjects and themes into the current curriculum, such as improving quality of the healthcare services, overviewing the ecological problems that have an impact on health, ensuring patients’ safety, learning to work in collaborations, and understanding how medical economics, advocacy, and policy works
- Drawing on the professional resources to change the current curricular by contacting with new partners, organizations, and faculties
- Encouraging the exchange of students to let them share experience and expand horizons
One of the main responsibilities of government and society is to ensure that people have access to adequate and effective assistance. Healthcare demand is not only increasing, but also has new requests and therefore requires significant changes. Today, AMA applies serious efforts to educate students, unite institutions and organizations, and implement positive changes into existing systems. We believe that even more events, initiatives, and prominent ideas are about to come.