A persuasive essay is aimed at convincing people concerning this or that idea. You should share your own vision of something and provide the arguments and examples, so that people believe you. You can create this kind of essay on any topic you wish. It`s important for everyone to know how to write a good persuasive essay, so check out the following tips and move on!
Working on an essay
1. Make an outline. A persuasive essay almost always follows the same format as this helps to present your ideas in a clear and understandable way. The main elements are the following:
- An introduction. This part should start with a hook, a catchy statement to get the readers` attention. Moreover, you are to present here your thesis statement, which should give a clear idea of what you are going to discuss and which point of view you want to share.
- The main body. You can have as many body paragraphs as possible. Note that each paragraph should include separate idea and arguments to support it.
- Here you are to sum up everything mentioned before. You can make the last shot to persuade the readers in something. You can end your assignment up with a call to action. You should also show the real importance of the topic of your essay.
2. Make up your hook. Your first sentence should be a hook. It should catch readers` attention. You can use a quotation, a question, an anecdote, whatever to make people interested to continue reading. Though, if nothing comes to your mind, then move on and get to it later.
3. Creating an introduction. This is an important part of your essay. While reading it people make a decision whether to continue looking into your essay or leave it at this stage. You are to give enough information here to let people understand what the entire assignment is about. Besides a hook, you should also include here a thesis statement, which gives the general idea of your essay. Usually, this statement is placed at the end of a paragraph.
4. The structure of your body paragraphs. Write at least three body paragraphs. Each of your paragraphs should present a separate idea, supported by an evidence and strong arguments.
- The first sentence of a paragraph should present the main idea of this part.
- Your evidence should be clear, understandable and proved.
- Use the facts to support your ideas, although, make sure to take them from the reliable recourses.
- Make your paragraphs flow smoothly and logically. They should be somehow connected.
5. The last sentence of one body paragraph should act like a transition to the next one.
6. Add the opposing idea. It`s not compulsory but if you want to sound more professional, then you can add a paragraph containing a counterargument or rebuttal. This can be a good background to prove why you are right.
7. Write a conclusion. It`s a good way to restate all of your ideas in the conclusion and end up with the general thought. Make the ending sound special, so the readers won`t forget it, leave some space for them to think on the topic and take your point of view as a right one.
Editing and proofreading
It`s a good idea to leave your essay for a day or two and not to look at it. You will see more mistakes while looking at it with a fresh mind. You should spend enough time on editing your essay. Read it aloud carefully. If you need, you can move the paragraphs, create new ones. Moreover, you can ask your friend or relative to look through your assignment. If they find something not clear, you will get a chance to change it, as the mistakes are always better seen from a side. And the last thing is proofreading. Check all kinds of mistakes, the formatting.