How to write a compare and contrast essay
In order to understand what are you going to write, you have to know what actually a compare and contrast essay is. Eventually, every student reaches the stage in their study life when they need to complete this task. The main concept of writing such essay is to find and compare facts. This may sound not so simple, but let us go through the main steps.
What is the main thing in the compare and contrast essay? First, you make a critical analysis of two chosen subjects of your topic. Your next step is to underscore the main characteristics and tendencies. By completing this part, you show how many connections these two subjects have.
How to organize your ideas
It is quite natural when your head is full of ideas for the future essay. You can organize them all in order to be less confused. There is a good way to do so.
The most useful tool that you can use to make the organization process better is the Venn diagram. More information you can find here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram
How does it help? The mentioned tool can organize your main similarities and differences in these two overlapping circles. Start by drawing a big diagram on any piece of paper and write down every example that can fit these three sections. Choose the most important idea for your topic. The following questions may help you to complete it:
- What do you want to focus on?
- What does interest you about these two subjects?
- Which similarities and differences best relate to the topic?
- Which pieces of information support your main arguments?
A small example. Let’s imagine that you want to compare and contrast two movies. If so, you can take a look at how two plots and characters within them relate in terms of your main idea. Do these two movies have something in common to support a certain idea? If the result satisfies you, present it in your work.
After you have finished this stage, underline the main points in your diagram and include them in your essay. The bigger number of such points can be useful for the further analysis. Let’s go deeper and reveal more details on how to write a compare and contrast essay.
The Structure of the compare and contrast essay
The creativity is a key point. There is nothing bad in presenting your future essay in a different format. The experienced students often prefer to do so.
However, for those who do not know how to write such essay, it is better to follow regular rules or boundaries.
While writing an essay, the most important part is to stick to the traditional outline: introduction, body paragraphs, conclusion. The best way to write a compare and contrast essay is to make it similar to the 5 paragraph essay. Here, you will have an introduction, three body paragraphs, and a conclusion. In terms of 5 paragraph essay, the Venn Diagram can be very useful.
The example of a compare and contrast essay
By giving the simplest example, you will know how to create such essay properly. Let’s get down to business.
- Introduction. Traditionally, you present here the main topic and a hook sentence. The main problem is to make a thesis. Mostly, they look weak and that makes it less attractive for the readers. Such statement must completely fit your paper’s topic. Moreover, it should slightly lead to your analysis part.
- Body paragraphs. By using the Venn diagram, you create the main points of your essay. After you have completed the preparation, you can present these points by using following way:
- First paragraph: present aspects unique to subject A
- Second paragraph: present aspects unique to subject B.
- Show how these two aspects are similar.
You can also analyze each point separately if you feel like you are doing well so far.
There are many different ways to write a good compare and contrast essay, but let your talent shine this time. Be creative.
- Conclusion. The last important stage of any essay is to write a conclusion. Here, you can restate the main thesis of your paper. Make sure you do not include new information since it makes no sense for the whole structure. Stick to the main idea.
Now, you can write a compare and contrast essay. Make sure to follow the main instruction and do not forget about your creativity. In the end, you will enjoy the results of your work.